12.13.2013

Naughty List Warning

  I'm struggling with Santa right now. My kids KNOW that we celebrate Christmas because it's Jesus' birthday. They also know that Santa is just a fun bonus. They know that if they were ever to be so bad that Santa skips our house that Christmas would still go on because it's not about Santa. My problem is that, for the first time, they really have been so bad for me that if I didn't love them so much, Santa would skip us. I don't want to see their disappointed little faces when they wake up and run downstairs.
  Most of you that know my kids are probably thinking that I'm exaggerating right now, except for Leslie...she knows better. My kids are usually great for other people. I know I did something right when it comes to how they behave for EVERYONE ELSE ON THE PLANET. Jared only moved his pin twice in kindergarten and has so far only snipped an E once in first grade, I'm so proud of him! I guess the specifics really aren't what my post is about.....I'm not writing this so that I can throw my kids under the bus and have you all think poorly of them. It's just a season that we're in.
  My problem is this: do I teach them a hard lesson that I never had to learn or do I carry on as if they had been little angels? I purchased a really cute "Naughty List Warning" the other morning that I had planned on filling out for each child. In the middle of filling out Baby Jared's I started to feel bad about it. I don't know why....I think mainly because there is a line for "naughty behavior witnessed by..." and I put "Trigger the Elf" (that's our Elf on the Shelf's name). I felt bad for our fake stuffed elf on the shelf. Why should he be blamed if they get reindeer crap in their stockings even though Im pretty sure that's the main reason behind the Elf on the Shelf. Last year the concept was fun because the kids wanted to be really good for him. This year they just think his stunts are funny and who gives a hoot if he catches them being bad. So........what do I do? As of Tuesday my plan was to have Santa bring them all warm winter clothes and ONE toy from their list. That still seems ok to me. I don't want them to think that their actions can be threatened with Santa skipping our house but come Christmas morning Santa has spoiled them rotten anyways so what was the point of spewing the "SANTA IS WAAATTTCCCHHHHING YOOOOUUUU" line (while I'm literally on the verge of an emotional and mental breakdown).

  1) Do I risk hurting their feelings and give them all their naughty list warnings? (Trigger will be removed from the witness line)

  2) Does Santa stick to his one toy plan or just bring clothes?

  I would love your input, maybe advice from the more seasoned mothers out there that have dealt with the naughty child during the month of December issue.

  What I would NOT LOVE is your advice on how to discipline my babies.  Everyone is so different when it comes to THAT subject, so I'd rather just steer clear of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment