8.06.2012

We took Russell to a wedding...

Our 1st mistake: Taking Russell to a wedding.
Our 2nd mistake: Taking Russell to a wedding DIRECTLY after driving from Houston. No stops, no dinner.

We sat in the back(ish) row, ignoring the "please do not skip seats sign", in case we needed to take Russell out. Jared had to take him out twice before it even started. We also didn't realize that there would only be desserts at the reception so we didn't stop to get him any dinner before. So Jared went out to the truck and filled up his shirt pocket with Wheat Thins and his pockets with fruit snacks, 5 packages I think.
After going through all of his crackers and all 5 packs of fruit snacks we moved on to a hair clip that was in my purse, then the IPad, then the lady in front of him offered him a notebook and a highlighter. We made it through (barely). So now it's time for the reception...
If you've never been to wedding/reception at Edison's in Dallas then I'll sort of describe the layout for you real fast. The area where they have the ceremony is separated from the reception area with several LARGE dividers.
Those things behind them are the dividers....
So as the wedding party is taking photos, we are trying to let Russell burn off some energy. He ended up pushing one of those things over and thank goodness some people jumped up and caught it before it landed on one of the tables. Sorry Miller and Janie!! I took him to the bathroom with me where he continuously flushed the toilet as I was using it and then threw an entire roll into the bowl while I was washing my hands.
Miller works with Jared so they had carpenter pencils on all the tables with their names on them (really cute), but Russell decided he was gonna scribble on the table cloth with them. He spilled a cup of water all over himself and the table as well. We tried really hard to wait long enough to say hi to the Bride and Groom. I took Russell out to the foyer and he laid on the ground while I spun him in circles and then drug him around (his idea, not mine). We took him outside and let him run. We walked him around the reception area...and then we gave up. It was close to 8:45ish and I was exhausted. Doesn't seem like he did a lot of damage until you consider the fact that we weren't even there for 2 hours. 
Here's a short list of things that I caught Russell doing lately:
  • Hiding naked in the laundry room
  • Emptying files from the filing cabinet
  • Pulling dvds out of the cabinet and shoving them into the Wii (again)
  • Dumping yogurt out on the kitchen floor
  • Hiding behind the curtains in his room at bed time (pretty cute actually)
We have a really crappy bedtime routine with Russell. It started 4 months ago when we brought Wyatt home, we're trying to correct it but its been tough. Last week I put him to bed about a dozen times and as I was loading the dishwasher I heard the bathroom sink turn on...Russell was sitting on the counter filling up Duplo blocks with soap and water. What in his little head makes him think, "I've been put to bed 12 times, but I think I'll get into the lego bucket and go play in the bathroom." It was 8:15! That means I had been putting him to bed for over an hour. Please don't give me any suggestions on how to keep him in his room. We have tried everything and eventually something will work. I put the doorknob protector things on there but he breaks them in half and brings me the pieces. He won't do this forever so for now I'm gonna do it my way.

He's lucky he's so cute!
Those are Russell's feet propped up on Wyatt...they were both asleep on me.
Turns out when the big kids are gone Russell devotes ALL of his time and energy to Wyatt. I think Wyatt is glad they are home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment